1. Pandemic Influenza or sometimes called Pandemic Flu is a new human flu virus that has changed significantly from previous human flu viruses. Because it is so different, people have little natural protection (immunity) and the disease can spread easily from person to person and cause a global outbreak, or pandemic, of serious illness.
Notes Novel Coronavirus 2019 Read: What Do We Know About the Coronavirus?
- (1) develops and there is little or no immunity (protection due to previous infection or vaccination) in the human population;
- (2) it is easily passed from human to human;
- (3) is found in many countries; and
- (4) causes serious illness in humans. Also see influenza, seasonal influenza, and avian influenza.
(2006, Pandemic Influenza Business Continuity Guide & Template for San Francisco Businesses. San Francisco Department of Public Health. Communicable Disease Control and Prevention Section.)