Part 1: Identification of Business Functions DR AIA
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Part 1: Identification of Business Functions
Business Function (Col 2)
- Name of business function.
- State a name or identifier (of up to 3 words).
- Note (1): Usually, the number of business functions should average around 5 functions and should not be expected to exceed 15.
- Note (2): “Nice to have”/”convenient business functions” should be omitted during the final submission in the Business Impact Analysis Strategy phase.
- Note (3): Minor business functions that could be accurately grouped into a single bigger function are strongly encouraged.
- Note (4): Refer to the example of business functions found below
Function Code (Col 3)
- The acronym for each business function and its serial number.
- This function number is used as a shorter form of unique identification of each business function within the entire BIA exercise and also as a cross-reference to the rest of the document.
- For example, “HR” is the acronym for Human Resource Department and say, the function is "Payroll". The function number “HR-01” is CBF Number 01 (first of the series of business function) for HR Department.
Description (Col 4)
- A business function is defined for the purpose of this exercise as an activity, or a group of activities, which delivers a product or discrete service.
- Highlight only the end result and not details of all the processes which enable the business function to be completed.
- Use only one line to describe each business function.
- Start the description with an action verb e.g. Grant limits, Administer loans, Monitor outstanding transactions.
Examples of "Business Functions" (Col 2) - "Description" (Col 4)
- Staff Training - Provide appropriate training to sales staff
- Inventory Management - Ensure sufficient inventory for sales, and are up to date and minimize stock out situation
- Workplace/ Store Safety - Ensure safety at all times external or internal to store
- Sales Audit - Check of daily cash receipts from stores
- Order Picking - Process orders and taking down products for deliveries
- Promotion - Ensure retail strategy and promotion are executed timely